Radical is an upcoming American biographical drama film directed by Jonah Hill. It is based on the life and work of controversial psychologist Jordan Peterson. The film stars Eugenio Derbez as Peterson and is scheduled for theatrical release in late 2023.
Here is a quick rundown of key details about the movie:
- Directed by Jonah Hill and stars Eugenio Derbez as Jordan Peterson
- Scheduled for release in theaters in late 2023
- Plot focuses on Peterson’s life, career and controversial views
- Will premiere at Sundance Film Festival in January 2023
- Also releasing in Australia, Mexico, Netherlands and other countries after US release
Radical is premiering at the Sundance Film Festival in January 2023. The US theatrical release is scheduled for November 3, 2023.
Here are the release dates for other major markets:
- Australia: June 13, 2023 (Sydney Film Festival)
- Mexico: October 19, 2023
- Netherlands: October 26, 2023 (Leiden International Film Festival)
The movie will also release in Canada, Ecuador, France and India, but exact dates are yet to be announced.
Cast and Crew
Eugenio Derbez plays the lead role of Jordan Peterson in the movie. Derbez is an acclaimed Mexican actor known for films like Instructions Not Included and CODA.
Jonah Hill directs the film. Hill has previously directed mid90s and is known for acting in movies like The Wolf of Wall Street and 21 Jump Street.
Other cast members are yet to be officially announced.
The producers are Emma Stone, Jonah Hill and Evelyn O’Neill. David Zander is the screenwriter.
Plot and Storyline
Radical will focus on the life story and controversial views of Canadian psychologist Dr. Jordan Peterson.
Some of the key events and story elements expected are:
- Peterson’s early life and academic career as a psychologist
- How he rose to fame with his book 12 Rules for Life and lectures
- His vocal opposition to political correctness and Canadian gender identity laws
- The criticisms and backlash he faced for his conservative views
- His struggles with anxiety, depression and addiction to anti-anxiety medication
The film will likely analyze and provide commentary on Peterson’s polarizing perspectives on religion, identity politics, masculinity and modern culture. It may also explore his influence on young men and the alt-right.
Overall, Radical aims to provide an intimate character study of who Jordan Peterson is and how his experiences shaped his ideologies.
Radical | Official Trailer
Why is the Film Called Radical?
The term “radical” has multiple meanings, which seem relevant to Jordan Peterson’s persona:
- As a noun – refers to a person with extreme principles who wants sweeping social/political change. Fits with Peterson’s contrarian ideas.
- As an adjective – means favoring extreme change in society. Connects with Peterson’s vocal opposition to status quo.
- As an adjective – means very different from the norm. Describes Peterson’s unconventional stances.
So the title seems to hint that the film will focus on Jordan Peterson’s radical and controversial worldview.
Expectations from Radical
As a biopic exploring a contemporary and controversial figure like Peterson, Radical has raised some interesting expectations and questions:
- Will the film take an objective look at Peterson’s career and views or portray him in a biased light?
- How will it depict the polarizing stances Peterson took on issues like gender identity, men’s rights, religion etc?
- Will it ignore or gloss over the criticisms faced by Peterson or address them head-on?
- How will Eugenio Derbez fare in the lead role? Can he effectively capture Peterson’s mannerisms and speech style?
The film has the tricky task of delivering an engaging and truthful biopic about a complex character like Jordan Peterson. Let’s see if Radical manages to pull it off when it hits theaters later this year.
Frequently Asked Questions
When is Radical releasing?
Radical is scheduled for a theatrical release on November 3, 2023 in the United States. It will premiere at Sundance Film Festival in January 2023.
What is Radical about?
Radical is a biographical drama film about the life and career of Canadian psychologist Jordan Peterson. It will focus on his ideological evolution, controversial views and the backlash he faced.
Who plays Jordan Peterson in Radical?
Acclaimed Mexican actor Eugenio Derbez will play the role of Jordan Peterson in the film.
Who is directing Radical?
Actor and filmmaker Jonah Hill is directing Radical. It is his second directorial effort after mid90s (2018).
Is there a trailer for Radical?
No, an official trailer has not been released yet. A teaser or trailer is expected closer to Radical’s release date later in 2023.
Radical promises to be one of the more intriguing biopics of 2023. The film could provide interesting insight into Jordan Peterson’s background and motivations.
But it also faces the challenge of objectively portraying a polarizing figure. It will be fascinating to see the direction Jonah Hill takes to treat Peterson’s story.
If done right, Radical could offer a balanced profile of an influential yet controversial thought leader. We will find out if the film manages to pull it off when it hits theaters towards the end of 2023.